Day 5: While the world goes crazy, I stay sane...

Day 5 of my 30before30...and I must say it's interesting how things can be in such disarray, and in the same instance- you don't notice a thing. How so? I have been amazed this week how many topics, distractions, and issues have  unfolded in our country and our world. From just tuning into the news this week, or being online long enough...it's apparent that the world has in fact gone loopdy loo. In the midst of these current issues, I realized a couple things...

1) Regardless of my opinion on any of these things, there comes a point where you have to go back to what you can control. No matter who you are, we will all most likely arrive at the same conclusion- you can only control YOU. Why expend extra, unnecessary energy trying to control others or things that you cannot. The quote below says it best...
With that said, I realized part of this 30before30 wasn't just to have something to do. I think it's necessary ever so often to stop, drop, and evaluate. Evaluate what's important, what tied ends became loose, what is productive, etc. 

2) Another conclusion I came to is that while the world or my environment might go crazy, I in fact CAN stay sane. Seems simple, but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to not let your environment shake you. It's not easy by any means, but it's necessary if you want to protect your space and your place.

How I stayed sane today...


I used my hands!


Today I spent a few hours and helped pack 168 (they needed 5,000 by the end of the week) lunches for local children who struggle with having meals when school is not in session. I worked alongside a student mission group from Nebraska who was there for the week. In those few hours, I wasn't pondering about any current happenings. Not because I didn't care, but because in that moment the only thing I could do was to use my hands and help feed hungry kids. This seemed better than stressing over anything else. When in doubt, do what you can do! For me today, that entailed using my hands.



I searched for more!

Just in these 5 days of my 30before30, two of them including service at the Food Bank, I noticed that I had already created a hunger for more myself. Not for food of course, but for more to do. How else can I be productive? Get involved? Help someone else? Step outside of myself? So, I contacted another organization with other needs to see how I could be of help. One thing was clear...if we just take a moment to look around, there is SO much that is waiting to be done. Within minutes from 1 email I had a volunteer application and an appointment to help out. So many people are just waiting for someone to ask, "Is there anything I can do?" Of course, if we had a dime for every time we heard the phrase, "How great the world would be if everyone_________________" we'd all be rich. However, the reality is- everyone is NOT going to do X, Y, and Z. Another reality is...I CAN DO X, Y, and Z. So, why not. Why not stop and actually just search for more. Search for more opportunities, more ways to help, more knowledge, more anything that would not only enhance you but others.




I got busy!

Yes, I am continuing my 30 day crossfit at home challenge. Thanks to Momma Crossfitter (link in my first post), I am continuing on with my 30 days of exercise. Truth- I skipped yesterday. While I checked off other tasks on my 30before30, exercise didn't make day 4. So what did I do? I combined day 4 and 5 and worked my CraftyGriffin butt off! I hated it, I was sweaty, I was tired, but I felt great afterwards. Of course that greatness is not counting the soreness I've had since I started this challenge Saturday. I think soreness and I will have a long term relationship for a while. We don't seem to be breaking up anytime soon. Nonetheless, soreness/pain is part of the challenge. It's part of the growth. It's the thing you tell to shut up because you know in the end it's good for you. The hard stuff that's the good stuff. Sometimes you just need to get busy. Jolt that kinetic energy and MOVE...amazing how much better things get. Get busy!


Ultimate take away to staying sane...

YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE IT, because if you don't, the world will always choose the crazy for you instead.


Another day in the books. "30before30"
*Surrounding myself with good people/with good goals/for good causes
*Doing the hard stuff because the hard stuff is the good stuff
*Dotting my i's and crossing ALL of my t's
*Going from "Meh" to "YEAH!!"
*Staying sane while the world goes crazy



Comments

  1. LaToya,
    You must have been sent to my blog for a reason today. I saw your comment when I got home from dealing with issues pertaining to my mother who is dying of cancer and alzheimer's. I have been having horrid panic attacks and life seems horrible to me, and then I read your post, and it gave me some perspective. There is only so much I can do, and if I do what I can, and continue to give in a positive way, I too can stay sane. Thank you!
    Sidney
    Teachingisagift

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. M, you stay encouraged!! I'm sure you are doing all that you can, and know that even though every day is not a good day, there is always something good in each day. I will be praying for you and your family, that you would have strength and peace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21-23: Gifts and Psalms

30before30 ends....and 30 begins!

Day 4: From Meh to Yeah!!