Day 7 and 8: Just Post-It!

30before30: Day 7 & 8

Yesterday was definitely a reflective one. You know the type of day that doesn't necessarily begin as planned, yet you still have to keep on keeping on. I decided to take some moments, pause, and read. I'm currently reading a book, Woman After God's Own Heart, by Elizabeth George. It's a pretty dated book, one I realized I had in my collection that I had never quite taken the time to dive into. Similar to an outfit that you notice you've never worn, then you try it on and it looks great! I must scan through my books more often and pick out those forgotten treasures I didn't know were there.

Anyhoo, as I poured into the first chapter I was reminded of many things. Things that were perfect for my day 7 and for each day thereafter.

My Book Lessons

Spending time with God- I know this and part of my journey lately has been to do even more than I thought I was doing. It's not just important so that we can face the days troubles...it's important because we need to show that devotion to God not for what He can do but just because of Who He Is. Always a good reminder!

Choose His ways at every opportunity- Again, this I know as well but I didn't realize how many times I miss opportunities to consult Him on tasks that seem so small. For instance, it's always been a struggle for me to always have the right response to certain situations. My facial expressions are always changing, one of the things my students love about my teaching. I can be very animated depending on the content. This strength in my teaching is not necessarily the best attribute outside of the classroom. I tend to wear my thoughts on my face. My face can speak volumes without me ever uttering a word. Something I am trying to be more conscious of, and it never dawned on me that I should consult God when I'm faced with situations where I need to be mindful of my face. My face. Body language is a powerful tool, and can cause one to be comfortable or uncomfortable by a simple expression. So, when someone is saying something I would rather not hear; I can choose His way in that moment. I can ask how I should present myself, I can replace an anguished face with a Godly one. 

"Good, better, best, never let it rest, until your good is better, and your better is best."- When I came across this phrase in the book, I thought I hit the goldmine! One, what a great phrase to use in my classroom. Two, what a great phrase to use for myself. The quote prompted the discussion of choosing to go from good, to better, to best. Sometimes we just decide to do something. It could be what we want, it could be impromptu, it could be a gut reaction. Whatever the reason, how much better off would we be if we took the time to use good, better, or best. Always being mindful of what is the best possible thing we could do, and not settling for just the good. Yesterday, I had a huge craving for sweets. Probably because I have eradicated them and sentenced myself to water during my exercise regime. I wanted cupcakes, I wanted cheesecake, I wanted anything sweet and yummy. I gave in. I had 3 mini Kit Kat bars. They were great, but I didn't feel that great afterwards. Now, same situation, but what if I had used good, better, best? I could have made a low cal sweet snack, that's good. I could have had fruit, that would have been better. I could have thrown out sweet altogether (as this is just a temptation) and just made a healthy snack- that would have been best. This phrase is why p. 17 in this book will be folded forever. I need the constant reminder of good, better, best. It could make the difference in my health, relationships, interactions, ultimately LIFE! There's much talk about not settling for mediocrity. I agree, but don't settle for just "good" when you can always do your best!

Having been mentally jolted and charged from my read yesterday, I felt that I needed to consciously remind myself of other necessary things. So, I compiled some of my favorite quotes/scripture. From now on (as I do with just scripture from time to time) I will "Just Post-It!" Post those things that need to stay in the forefront of my mind. Post those things that are a struggle. Post those things which are good. Post those things that can bring peace and defeat a storm. Just Post-It! As simple as print, cut, post. Words have power. As a teacher, I find myself restating this common cliche. But, they do! They can transform, they can provoke thought, they can change things. Just like the Bible is a mirror for us through words of how we should be, just like a book can create a chain of thoughts that lead to discussion, just like our own words can help or hinder. Words matter, why not surround yourself with words that will edify you, challenge you, remind you, bring out the best in you?

To "Just Post-It" with me, click the link below for my download:



My 7th and 8th day Take Away:

Aspire to go from good, to better, to best!


Another day in the books. "30before30"

*Surrounding myself with good people/with good goals/for good causes
*Doing the hard stuff because the hard stuff is the good stuff
*Dotting my i's and crossing ALL of my t's
*Going from "Meh" to "YEAH!!"
*Staying sane while the world goes crazy
*Being more aware and helping others, so I can help myself!
*Aspiring to go from good, to better, to best in ALL things!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30before30 ends....and 30 begins!

Leg Cast Confessions

Day 4: From Meh to Yeah!!